- When the product material is abrasive (causing excessive wear on the gage), or in any high-volume application where there is continuous or frequent usage. The extra hard surface and lubricity of titanium nitride greatly extend the wear life, by as much as 10 times, permitting longer frequencies between recalibration. The gold color is a wear indicator. When the gold is worn off, the gage is undersized.
- Due to its inert, hard characteristics, titanium nitride provides a high resistance to corrosion, making it ideal when humidity and other atmospheric conditions create corrosion problems.
- When gaging, certain soft materials or plated product threads tend to “load up” on the flanks of steel gages. The lubricity properties of TiN greatly aid in preventing this buildup.
When is TiN better than chrome?
- TiN is harder than chrome; therefore, it is more wear resistant.
- TiN provides better lubricity than chrome, cutting down wear and galling.
- TiN is a more uniform coating than chrome, eliminating possible uneven buildup on the gage flanks.
- TiN does not gall in aerospace-type materials.
- TiN-coated gages outlast chrome gages by as much as 8 times.
Contact General Cutting Tools, your authorized Greenfield Tap and Die distributor for more information.
We ship to Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota and the reset of the US.