QwikReam Guidelines for High Speed Reaming
As the cutting speed and feed are much higher than in conventional reaming, the following guidelines should be adhered to:
The machine being used should be in good condition, meaning:
- Very rigid, to minimize vibration and low runout
- Equipped with an internal coolant spindle
The reamers being used for high speed reaming are usually coated or made from PCD/CBN.
Conventional reaming should be considered:
- When the machine is not sufficiently rigid.
- If only external cooling can be used.
- In special applications such as thin walled tubes or when reaming soft materials (plastic, etc).
- When there is a demand to use floating adapters (GFI).
The reaming heads are available in IN2005 grade which is a submicron substrate, TiAlN PVD coated. IN2005 is Ingersoll’s most versatile grade, covering a wide range of workpiece materials and machining conditions. IN2005 features very high fracture and wear resistance which is required for efficient high speed reaming. A special coating process of the TiAlN PVD coating ensures very accurate and uniform coating thickness keeping a sharp cutting edge.
The following grades can be provided on request:
- PCD grade for machining aluminum
- PCBN grade for machining cast iron
The standard QwikReam line will cover the range of .4528” – 1.2600” (11.500 – 32.000mm). There are 5 bayonet sizes with their corresponding bayonet screws and clamping keys covering this range.
General Cutting Tools aka Cutting Tools Chicago is a complete authorized Ingersoll Cutting Tools seller.
Contact us for more information.